Lincolnshire Youth Wind Orchestra (LYWO) provides performance opportunities for the finest young wind players in Lincolnshire.
Conductor: Alex Greenfield
Born in Lincolnshire, Alex was a member of both the Lincolnshire Youth Wind Orchestra and the Lincolnshire Youth Symphony Orchestra. He was also a member of the English Schools' Orchestra. Alex went on to study music at the University of Huddersfield, majoring in performance on Bass Trombone and Clarinet. He went on to study for an MA in conducting, studying with Barrie Webb.
Since 2000 Alex has worked for Lincolnshire Music Service as an intrumental tutor. In 2007 he took over conducting the Lincolnshire Youth Concert Orchestra continuing to work with group until 2017.
As well as being a busy orchestral and pit musician in the local area, Alex also conducts the orchestra and teaches the clarinet at the University of Lincoln.
Membership is by audition or membership renewal and is open to musicians up to the age of 21. The entry standard required for audition is as follows:
- Woodwind: Grade 6
- Percussion: Grade 6
(Please note that it is not essential for students to have taken formal examinations)
We accept auditions via a live performance to the school County Group co-ordinator at your school, or by uploading auditions online to YouTube or Vimeo and providing us with the link.
Annual Membership: £230 (Including residential fee).
Biennial Tour (optional) The next tour will be in the summer of 2019. Costs will be confirmed nearer the time.
Fees can be paid in instalments. Subsidy is available for pupils entitled to Free School Meals and Looked After Children.
Further payment details will be provided following application and acceptance.
The Residential will be held at Butlins’ Skegness in Gold standard accommodation, fully inclusive three bedroomed apartments. Rehearsals will take place in two large rehearsal spaces with access to all entertainment areas including fairground, cinema and Splash Waterworld. The Residential will also include a fun informal children’s concert performance. The Residential cost is included in the yearly membership. Transport for members to and from the Residential, from pick up points in major towns across the county, is also included.
The Biennial Tour
Members are invited to travel on a joint foreign tour with the Symphony Orchestra.
Previous foreign tours have taken place to countries such as Germany, The Czech Republic and Hungary, Italy, Malta, Poland and Spain. Last summer the Wind Orchestra visited the cities of Erfut and Leipzig in Eastern Germany performing concerts in Colditz Castle and at the Bach Monument in Leipzig's St Thomas Church.
Unless we advise otherwise, members are required to observe the following dress code for all public performances:
- Boys: Black Trousers / Long Sleeved Black Formal Shirt / Black Shoes / Black Socks
- Girls : Black Skirt / Black Dress (length below the knee and no front split above the knee. Must be worn with black tights) / Black Trousers/Black Blouse (not sleeveless)/ Black Shoes
Gaining membership of a Lincolnshire County Group represents a significant personal achievement. However, membership also carries with it, a significant responsibility to demonstrate a very high level of personal commitment at all times.
Our aim is to ensure high standards of performance and presentation at all times, and therefore members are expected to:
- Make a FULL COMMITMENT to ALL dates of rehearsals, courses, concerts, etc for the season
- Practise the music between rehearsals and take the music to their instrumental lessons
- Provide a MUSIC STAND and PENCIL for all rehearsals and concerts (please label your stand with your name and address)
- In the event that you are unable to attend a rehearsal or performance, make every effort to ensure that any parts you have borrowed are available if they are likely to be needed by other members
- Observe the dress code for the ensemble at public performances
For further information please contact your instrumental tutor or call us on 01522 553354 or email: email@example.com