Lincolnshire Youth Wind Orchestra (LYWO) provides performance opportunities for the finest young wind players in Lincolnshire.
Membership is by audition or membership renewal and is open to musicians up to the age of 21. The entry standard required for audition is as follows:
- Woodwind: Grade 6
- Percussion: Grade 6
(Please note that it is not essential for students to have taken formal examinations)
We accept auditions via a live performance to the school County Group co-ordinator at your school, or by uploading auditions online to YouTube or Vimeo and providing us with the link.
Annual Membership: £230 (Including residential fee).
Fees can be paid in instalments and subsidy is available for pupils entitled to Free School Meals and Looked After Children. Further payment details will be provided following application and acceptance.
Gaining membership of a Lincolnshire County Group represents a significant personal achievement. However, membership also carries with it, a significant responsibility to demonstrate a very high level of personal commitment at all times.
Our aim is to ensure high standards of performance and presentation at all times, and therefore members are expected to:
- Make a FULL COMMITMENT to ALL dates of rehearsals, courses, concerts, etc for the season
- Practise the music between rehearsals and take the music to their instrumental lessons
- Provide a MUSIC STAND and PENCIL for all rehearsals and concerts
- In the event that you are unable to attend a rehearsal or performance, make every effort to ensure that any parts you have borrowed are available if they are likely to be needed by other members
- Observe the dress code for the ensemble at public performances
Concert Dress Code
- Boys: Black Trousers / Long Sleeved Black Formal Shirt / Black Shoes / Black Socks
- Girls: Black Skirt / Black Dress (length below the knee and no front split above the knee. Must be worn with black tights) / Black Trousers/Black Blouse (not sleeveless)/ Black Shoes
The residential will take place during the Easter holidays at Uppingham School, for four days and three nights. The Residential cost is included in the yearly membership and transport to and from the residential, from pick up points in major towns across the county, is also included. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are provided.
The Showcase Concert
Students will have the opportunity to perform in a professionally staged concert, together with members of the Lincolnshire Youth Symphony Orchestra, at the end of the residential.
The Biennial Tour
Members are invited to travel on a joint European tour with the Symphony Orchestra.
Previous tours have taken place to countries such as Germany, The Czech Republic and Hungary, Italy, Malta, Poland and Spain. Last summer the Wind Orchestra visited the cities of Erfut and Leipzig in Eastern Germany performing concerts in Colditz Castle and at the Bach Monument in Leipzig's St Thomas Church.The next tour will take place in 2021, where students will have the opportunity to go to Spain. Tour dates are: Friday 16th July - Friday 23rd July.
Conductor: Alex Greenfield
Born in Lincolnshire, Alex was a member of both the Lincolnshire Youth Wind Orchestra and the Lincolnshire Youth Symphony Orchestra. He was also a member of the English Schools' Orchestra. Alex went on to study music at the University of Huddersfield, majoring in performance on Bass Trombone and Clarinet. He went on to study for an MA in conducting, studying with Barrie Webb.
Since 2000 Alex has worked for Lincolnshire Music Service as an intrumental tutor. In 2007 he took over conducting the Lincolnshire Youth Concert Orchestra continuing to work with group until 2017.
As well as being a busy orchestral and pit musician in the local area, Alex also conducts the orchestra and teaches the clarinet at the University of Lincoln.