The Lincolnshire Youth Concert Orchestra is our junior orchestra, drawn from young musicians all over the county. For many members it is their first experience of playing in a large ensemble. To help them develop both musically and personally they work with a skilled team of instrumental tutors on a varied repertoire, from symphonic classics to selections from stage and screen.
The group rehearses for four full days a year culminating in a fabulous joint live concert with Lincolnshire Youth String Chamber Orchestra, professionally staged at Lincolnshire Showground.
From audition to final performance we hope the time spent in the Lincolnshire Youth Concert Orchestra is an enjoyable and life enhancing experience, that will help build every member's musicianship, teamwork and confidence.
Conductor: Richard Green
Having studied cello with his local Music Service through school and then subsequently at teacher training college, Richard moved from an early career in mainstream primary teaching to join the Lincolnshire Music Service as a lower strings specialist in 1991.
Soon afterwards, he started the Lincoln Area Strings at the Lincoln Music Centre, a group which he still directs. He then went on to conduct the Lincolnshire Youth Concert Orchestra for a number of years, co-founded the Lincolnshire Youth Cello Ensemble and has now returned to the conductorship of the Concert Orchestra.
Alongside a full instrumental teaching schedule that covers an increasingly wide area, Richard also conducts Gainsborough Choral Society, plays bass periodically for Lincoln Pro Musica, and doubles on cello and keyboard for numerous theatrical productions around the county.
Membership is by audition or membership renewal and is open to musicians up to the age of 21. The entry standard required for audition is as follows:
- Strings: Grade 4
- Woodwind: Grade 5
- Percussion Grade 4
- Brass Grade 4
(Please note that it is not essential for students to have taken formal examinations)
We accept auditions via a live performance to the school County Group co-ordinator at your school, or by uploading auditions online to YouTube or Vimeo and providing us with the link.
Annual Membership: £145. Fees can be paid in instalments. Subsidy is available for pupils entitled to Free School Meals and Looked After Children. Further payment details will be provided following application and acceptance.
The Showcase Concert
Tickets are now on sale for the showcase concert at bit.ly/2HDe7dC. Please book your tickets in advance, tickets are available on the door, however the concerts do sell out fast!
Unless we advise otherwise, members are required to observe the following dress code
- Boys: Black Trousers / Long Sleeved Black Shirt / Dinner Jacket (Optional) / Black Shoes / Black Socks
- Girls: Black Skirt / Black Dress (length below the knee and no front split above the knee. Must be worn with black tights) / Black Trousers / Black Blouse (not sleeveless) / Black Shoes
Gaining membership of a Lincolnshire County Group represents a significant personal achievement. However, membership also carries with it a significant responsibility to demonstrate a very high level of personal commitment at all times.
Our aim is to ensure high standards of performance and presentation at all times, and therefore members are expected to:
- Make a FULL COMMITMENT to ALL dates of rehearsals, courses, concerts, etc for the season
- Practise the music between rehearsals and take the music to their instrumental lessons
- Provide a MUSIC STAND and PENCIL for all rehearsals and concerts (please label your stand with your name and address)
- In the event that you are unable to attend a rehearsal or performance, make every effort to ensure that any parts you have borrowed are available if they are likely to be needed by other members
- Observe the dress code for the ensemble at public performances
For further information please contact your instrumental tutor or call us on 01522 553354 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org